This feels very well made. Works great. I like it.
Pro Tram System 01-000, 09-000
The Pro Tram by Edge Technology makes the process of tramming your mill fast, easy and accurate. Tramming is the process of squaring the head of your milling machine to the table. The Pro Tram is sized to fit the bed of a 6" vise allowing you to tram directly to vise for increased accuracy. It can be used with a sine bar or sine plate to adjust the head to precise angles.
- Square the head of a milling machine quickly and easily.
- To use the Pro Tram simply lower unit to the table and adjust the head until both indicators read the same.
- Guaranteed to be equal to or better than any other tramming method or spindle squaring device.
- Sized to fit the bed of a 6" vise allowing the head to be trammed to the vise instead of the table.
- Can be used with a sine bar or sine plate to adjust the head to precise angles.
- Calibration procedure accounts for any error introduced by worn collets.
- Indicator graduations available in 0.001" and 0.0005". (0.0005" indicators do not have Edge Technology logo)
- Shank sizes available in 1/2" and 3/8".
- Large 2.2” easy to read indicator face.
- Indicator repeatability of 0.0002”.
- Body made from red anodized aluminum.
- Includes calibration gage, manual and padded case.
- Protected by one or more US patents.
Love the fact that I can tram the vise bed (where it counts) in less than a minute! Have also used it to check for distortions in the table over it's length. The build quality is very good. Mine has a black finish on the 1/2" shaft rather than the bright finish shown in the pics (??).
Not sure I understand the negative reviews. True, there are many ways to tram a mill, but none are as efficient as with this tool. Using my Indicol and Starrett last word, it took 20 mins to get the head dead square to less than a mil. With this tool, it takes less than a minute. --As they say, time is money. The problem with all single dial gage methods is as you tighten the bolts, the head invariably moves a half-thousandths or so. When you do your double check after everything has been tightened down, it never fails that the squareness is off. So you have to go back and re-tram the head again until you get it right. It wastes so much time that I found less than ideal ways to mill angles because it took so much time to re-square the head. Double gages are a great old time machinist trick and is the reason I now have two Starrett last words to also square the vise in the horizontal plane. The two gages give immediate feedback and allows you to correct real time. Really a nice product and very well built. The only minor gripe I have is that the shaft is 0.003" under. For a precision tool, I would have liked that to be 0.0005 under so I could marry it to a precision R8 holder rather than using a spring collet. --No big deal and still a 99.9999% rating of the product.
This thing is awsome for getting your CNC Tramming balls on accurate. Can surface the whole table with a 2" bit and it's totally smooth.
Works great, just like Abom79 showed it on his Youtube channel
Received tool today and used it right away, was able to tram my milling machine in a short amount of time, much faster than the method I had been doing. Glad I bought this.
Doing as best my limited experience availed. Tram was off by a couple thou. Not surprised given the limited span, coupled with tolerances of the mill. Surface milling with 3/4" end mill clearly showed the slight error over a reactively small distance. Education always has a price... this one was spendy but got me up and running. Still lots to learn.
Bought this to verify a used milling machine. It only took a few minutes to adjust the nod and tilt.
Nice design and quality built.